While you know Texas Iron & Metal is your go-to source for prime and Less-Than-Prime© (LTP©) material, did you know we are also an authority on all things steel and pipe? Our knowledgeable team has helped countless customers select the right type of material for their job ꟷ saving them time and money. We’re more than just your Houston steel and pipe supplier, we’re your partner, and we look forward to assisting you.
As your single resource for all things steel and pipe, Texas Iron & Metal has curated a list of popular industry terminology that may help you select the right material for your project.
• Prime: Highest grade of steel available that must meet very strict requirements. Prime steel also has quality certificates.
• Surplus: Surplus steel is often sourced from business closures, cancelled projects, overstock, miscuts or order drops. It may be of similar quality to prime or may have minor defects but is still suitable for many uses. Surplus steel is also known as Less-Than-Prime© (LTP©).
• Welded: Welded metal has been joined together using electricity and welding rods or wire, through a heating and melting process.
• Seamless: A tube or pipe that is one homogenous piece, without seams.
• Galvanized: Steel that has a thin layer of zinc or zinc-aluminum alloy to provide corrosion resistance.
• Threaded: Threaded pipe has spiral ridges make it possible to join pieces together with fittings.
• Cold Rolled/Cold Finished (CR/CF): Cold rolled/finished steel has been rolled and reduced to make its surface more uniform with stronger tolerances.
• Hot Rolled (HR): Hot rolled steel has been rolled on a hot strip mill to reduce thickness.
• Cut-to-Length: Material that is cut to the customer’s specifications.
Texas Iron & Metal is your go-to resource for reliable and personalized service. Our knowledgeable and experience sales associates are happy to answer any questions you have. As always, you want it, we’ve got it. Now that’s supply on demand!